Founder & Managing Director of In-Trend
“The Mindful Leader”
In-Trend was created 16 years ago, and Emmanuelle Bassmann, Founder & Managing Director of In-Trends, believes that the key quality in creating a successful and long-lasting business is flexibility. Leadership for her is learning to be flexible with the staff, clients, and herself. Mindful leadership has been a discipline that Emmanuelle has adapted which has helped her become a better leader. “It’s about leaving a bit of mental space every day so as to not feel overwhelmed or make any hasty decisions,” she says. “You don’t react to everything that is thrown at you but you absorb them more slowly and calmly, and avoid consuming all your energy fighting conflicts in your brain. It’s also about empathy. We need to see things from the other person’s point of view, which is crucial when managing difficult clients.” For Emmanuelle, listening skills and mindfulness leadership are the way forward in business to start the transformation to create happier workplaces with more fulfillment.
“In-Trend has spotted multitudes of beauty trends with proven commercial value, giving the world’s best companies invaluable power in their trend decision making.”
“Acceptance to failure is also something that I’ve tried to work on. If you work in the fields of both cosmetics and innovations, your job is to push boundaries with what’s already on the market and to come up with a new way to consume beauty,” explains Emmanuelle. “Many innovations you come up with might never be launched, but it doesn’t matter. It’s about planting new seeds and trying to make them grow. Keep inventing!”
In-Trend was born after working in the marketing department of big firms that didn’t know what type of product innovations existed in other countries. Emmanuelle saw a gap in the market for highly specialized and tailored market innovation agencies that were experts in one sector. “Beauty felt like the right place to start as you need to come up with something new every 6 months or even monthly these days! Back in 2006, I created the first trend research agency specialized in beauty,” she says. “An agency made with local innovation correspondents based all around the world. This agency would be the only one that would be able to tell if an innovation is really an innovation as they review beauty products and services around the clock. I believe that to be a good innovator, you need to know the history of your market and what’s already been done to be able to invent the next big thing.”
In-Trend has a team of freelance beauty experts across the globe that update the team daily with new trends and innovative services and products. They spend days interviewing beauty start-ups launching innovative concepts, and brainstorming with their teams of beauty experts. “One of our best-selling reports is called What’s up in skincare? What’s in makeup? We publish them every six months for skincare, makeup, hair care, hair color, hair styling, body care, and they give the most comprehensive panorama of product innovations and the latest macro trends,” says Emmanuelle. “They are so valuable to our clients like L’Oréal, Coty, and Henkel, to name a few. It gives them insights on the products that are currently successful and of the ones that are emerging worldwide.” Suppose a client wants to launch a cleanser for skincare. In that case, they will have a panorama of the most popular cleansers worldwide, the latest needs of consumers, the new emerging concepts around cleansers observed worldwide, and the new alternative ingredients. They all need to construct a winning product development strategy plan for the next two to three years.
Emmanuelle sees In-Trend moving into food shortly. “The beauty of tomorrow will be one that takes a 360 approach to the food we eat, ingestibles (food and supplements), topicals, and wellness therapies/alternative medicines. Beauty will be more than just being skin-deep,” she adds. “Amanda Chantal Bacon, founder of moonjuice, is an amazing trendsetter. She considers 80 per cent of her own skincare routine to be about what’s going on internally and the other 20 per cent about is about applying products externally. This is the future!” IE
Founder & Managing Director
In-Trend Ltd is a London-based research intelligence agency dedicated to Beauty: retail & professional for 15 years. In-Trend only specializes in beauty related markets: skincare, makeup, body care, hair care, aesthetic medicine and oral care.